One of the most remarkable national leaders I’ve met is Cathy McMorris Rodgers, who serves Washington’s 5th Congressional District.
Last month, Representative Rodgers presented a courageous resolution to the U.S. House of Representatives. If the House were to adopt and sincerely pursue the actions set forth in this resolution, it would change the future of our country.
In the preamble to the resolution, Congresswoman Rodgers makes a compelling non-partisan argument for national fasting, prayer, repentance and reconciliation by quoting many of the great leaders God has given to our nation, including John Adams, George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington Carver, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Martin Luther King and John F. Kennedy.
Referring to a multitude of national issues, including abortion and our nation’s response to COVID-19, Congresswoman Rodgers points out that “the lifeblood and heartbeat of the Nation is moral character. Not the institutions. Not the institutions or even the laws in themselves. For laws and institutions are corruption without the rectitude and wisdom of a moral, decent people themselves.”
This is one of the most insightful and compelling speeches I’ve heard in many years, and I strongly encourage you to listen to the entire resolution (links given below). As you’ll see, it ends with this appeal:
We must ask ourselves, what might God do in the next 365 days if we commit to reading His Word daily and praying together weekly for our Nation? In our families? For this generation in misery and despair? We are expectant that He will do immeasurably more than all we could ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20), and that He will hear from Heaven, forgive our sins, and heal our land (2 Chronicles 7:14):
Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That the House of Representatives—
(1) expresses support for proclaiming a year of National Humiliation, Fasting, and Prayer;
(2) prays that in this hour of our great need, our Sovereign God will come and do again as He has done in days gone by;
(3) prays for a time of healing from our brokenness—broken lives, broken families, broken communities, and broken systems;
(4) humbles ourselves, prays, seeks God’s face, turns from our wicked ways, and thanks and praises the God of our ancestors who has given us wisdom and strength and who controls the course of events; and calls upon the people of our Nation to humble ourselves before our Creator and acknowledge our complete dependence upon Him, to repent of our pride and selfishness, and ask the Lord to break our hearts for the things that break His heart; that we may we not miss hearing His voice, and that He will pour out His spirit, once again, on our Nation and leaders.
Please join me in praying that God would move our leaders to not only pass this vital resolution but also and far more importantly to sincerely take it to heart both personally and in their capacity as the leaders of our nation.
And while you are praying, please also ask God to bless our country with more leaders like Congresswoman Rodgers who are earnestly seeking to call our nation back to the religious and moral principles on which it was providentially established.
Finally, please pray for two major training events I’ve been invited to present for over 100 people on Capital Hill this summer as a continuation of the “Daniel Project,” which is dedicated to equipping public servants with the relational and peacemaking skills that enabled humble servants like Daniel, Joseph, Esther, Abigail and Mordechai to change the course of nations (see details below).
~ Ken Sande
- For a video of Representative Rodger’s complete speech, click here .
- For a transcript of Representative Rodger’s complete speech, click here .
- For examples of how RW360 is serving national and state leaders, click here .
- For examples of how RW360 is serving our country’s military, click here .
- For examples of how you can deal with explosive political situations, click here .
Permission to distribute: Please feel free to download, print, or electronically share this message in its entirety for non-commercial purposes with as many people as you like.
© 2020 Ken Sande
Would you like to receive future posts like this? Subscribe now!